Friday, September 7, 2018

Album Of The Day: Magical Mystery Tour



Today I have been listening to Magical Mystery Tour.

Lately I've been heavily into Sgt Peppers, what with the deluxe version that has been released. I cannot resist the strings only version of She's Leaving Home. I could listen to it all day. But today I decided that I really ought to broaden my Beatles horizons.

I've alway seen especially fond of Magical Mystery Tour. I think it includes some of their strongest, most vibrant songs. When they were busy experimenting with new styles and methods, but before trouble started to set in.

I will be honest, I am less keen on the film. I watch it on occasion and when I do watch it I enjoy it. It has some stellar moments. And at other times it appears to be a jumbled mess which lacks the charm of their previous movies. But the soundtrack ... well ... it's up there as one of my favourites.

Of course, it contains three mega big, stand out hits of the Beatles careers. Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane and one of the biggest anthems ever, All You Need Is Love. Strawberry Fields Forever is just a song of pure genius. I love it's melody. I love the whimsical lyrics to Penny Lane and the positive message of All You Need Is Love.

But there are lots of little gems contained on the album that I really like. Flying, a couple of minutes of music is something that has always caught my imagination. It always reminds me of Yellow Submarine. And even though technically it wouldn't fit on the Yellow Submarine album, it has that dreamy element to it that resembles the musical pieces on Yellow Submarine.

For me one of the standout tracks on the album is Baby You're A Rich Man. I love the thundering bass line played expertly by Paul. I love the questioning lyrics. How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people? A question I've asked many times, not being overly blessed in the looks department. Of course, the Beatles probably weren't talking about looks. rather wondering what it is like to be in the set of rich, talented beautiful people. It must of been a rhetorical question, surely. For they were rich, beautiful. the leaders of the talented in-crowds.

When I was given a copy of MMT on my fourteenth birthday (one of those thin, floppy and crappy 1990's vinyl releases) I was dead chuffed. I loved the book that came with it. But, more importantly, I LOVED I Am The Walrus. I giggled at the "boy, you've been a naughty girl, you let your knickers down" (how very shocking...) and laughed out loud at the yellow matter custard, dripping from a  dead dogs eye. I found I Am The Walrus almost hypnotic. There is a strange, and very dark lullaby element to that song. It has often eased me into sleep. I played it over and over till mum (who really doesn't like that song) asked me to stop playing it. I never did. I just brought headphones!

One song on the album I didn't really appreciate till I was much older was The Fool On The Hill. It's thoughtful, deep and sad. It's like another version of Nowhere Man. As a young girl it wasn't funky enough, it never got me on my feet dancing around my room. But now, I appreciate it. I love the words. And that sense of sadness that weaves it's way through the song.

Despite being a George girl through and through I must say that Blue Jay Way isn't or never will be one of my favourite George songs. Unlike the pounding, racing 'It's All Too Much' from Yellow Submarine I find little in Blue Jay Way to interest me. It's good enough because its written by George but it's a track I sometimes skip because I can't be bothered to listen to it. To be fair I think the song fits in with the style of the album, but it will never be a favourite. I think George was made of better stuff. Which he proved over and over again on other albums.

And how can you not love 'Your Mother Should Know'? It's charming, fun and harmless. And I have memories of that song from my very early childhood. I recall it playing on a radio somewhere as I sat in my buggy, my mum singing along to it. I couldn't of been more then two. It's fun, kooky and contagious. It's the sort of song that highlights why I love the Beatles.

The title track, Magical Mystery Tour, is always such fun to listen to. And I think it sets the tone and pace of the album well. It's fun. Ringo plays awesomely and I think when an album opens with such a fantastic song you know you're going to be in for a treat. I have vivid memories of watching this film with my Dad and this song just takes me back to innocent times.      

I spent more hours in my room dancing to Hello Goodbye then I care to admit. I find it extremely hard to sit still when this song is playing. And when The Bootleg Beatles play it at their gigs, I am up on my feet before anyone else, bopping along. Hello Goodbye does exactly what music ought to do - make you feel. No matter what the song or what the emotion. And when I hear it I find it hard not to smile. And if I can't dance when it's on, I can, at least tap my feet to the joyful song.

Magical Mystery Tour is probably not the most well known Beatles album if you were to ask a non-fan. I suppose most non Beatles fans would know at least three tracks on this album. Possibly four. But for me, as a combined album, it's up there as one of my favourites. Like I said I think Blue Jay Way is quite weak. But despite it's faults, I think it's a sometimes forgotten little gem. Under appreciated certainly.

The problem that Magical Mystery Tour has, I think, is the time of it's release. It's nestled uncomfortably between two of the boys biggest albums. On the left you have Sgt Pepper. On the right you have The White Album. Both albums were out of the stratosphere and cast long shadows. So as much as MMT was critically acclaimed on release, it suffers by being in the shadows and it's not really fair, actually. Because, it deserves to sit in the spotlight, simply because how awesome it actually is.

There is a lightness to MMT which I appreciate. It's not so angst ridden as Sgt Peppers (She's Leaving Home and A Day In The Life are real tearjerkers) and it's not as dark and brooding as The White Album (Yer Blues, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm So Tired ...) It strikes a light balance.

So today is Magical Mystery Tour day. It's a album I thoroughly love. And lets be honest, any album that contains Strawberry Fields Forever can never really fail ....

3 comments:

  1. A great read. I found it very interesting. I love MMT and agree it's one of their lesser known efforts. Disagree on Blue Jay Way but it's good to read a George fan being honest about her opinions. Are you thinking about doing any more posts about albums?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening, Rich.

      Thank you for your comment. I'm glad that you like MMT too. It seems we disagree on BJW. But I also run a tea blog and have learned the best way to write is to be honest. I love George. I love his songs but I don't think it's one of his best.

      Oh for sure, I'm planning to write about Revolver and also I am planning in my head a piece about All Things Must pass and Run Devil Run. I hope you'll come back and read them despite disagreeing!

      Thanks
      Laura

      Delete
    2. Whoa. I'm looking forward to reading them. And may I suggest The White album? Hey it's fine we don't agree on everything. I just found your post interesting and can't wait to hear your views on Revolver. Have a good evening.

      Delete

My Long, Long, Long Love Affair.

On initial appearance, The Beatles album, commonly known as the White Album, was much more paired down than it's colourful prede...